Strawberry-Vannila Panna Cotta
- ½ packet (1 teaspoon) unflavored gelatin powder
- 1½ tablespoons cold water
- 1½ cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- ? cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 pints (4 cups) sliced fresh strawberries
- 2½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated lemon zest, for serving
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin on 1½ tablespoons of cold water.
- Stir and set aside for 10 minutes to allow the gelatin to dissolve.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together ¾ cup of the cream, the yogurt, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean seeds.
- Heat the remaining ¾ cup of cream and the ? cup of sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Off the heat, add the softened gelatin to the hot cream and stir to dissolve.
- Pour the hot cream-gelatin mixture into the cold cream-yogurt mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour into 4 (6 to 8-ounce) ramekins or custard cups and refrigerate uncovered until cold.
- When the panna cottas are thoroughly chilled, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Combine the strawberries, balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar, and pepper 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving.
- Set aside at room temperature.
- To serve, run a small knife around each dessert in the ramkein and dip the bottom of each ramekin quickly in a bowl of hot tap water.
- Invert each ramekin onto a dessert plate and surround the panna cotta with strawberries.
- Dust lightly with freshly grated lemon zest and serve.
Recipe and Photo: recipes.wikia.com / CC BY-SA