- 1 (10-ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust dough
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided $
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 5 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Place tomatoes, onion, and butter into small saucepan, and bring to a simmer. Cook over low heat until sauce has thickened and reduced to about half. (About one hour.)
- Place sauce in blender, or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Unroll crust dough onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes. Remove crust from oven, and brush with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Rub crust with cut sides of garlic. Top with desired amount of sauce, and you mozzarella cheese. Bake for a few more minutes (just until cheese starts melting and gets bubbly).
- Combine 1/2 teaspoon oil and vinegar, stirring with a whisk.
- Top pizza evenly with basil leaves, salt, and pepper. Drizzle the vinegar mixture evenly over the pizza. Cut pizza into 8 pieces.
Photo: jules:stonesoup / CC BY
Recipe adapted from multiple sources, along with my own input.