Cauliflower and Sausage Casserole
- 1 lb. cauliflower (1 medium head)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 lb. fresh sausage without casing
- 1 link semi dried and smoked sausage, chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1/2 lb. tomatoes, whole, canned, with juice
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs, homemade
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese or Grana Padano
- ½ tsp pepper
- Chop cauliflower roughly into bite-sized florets . Cook in a microwave oven with 3 tablespoons of water for about 3 minutes on the MAX or cook in a little boiling water for about 5 minutes. Cauliflower should remain al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Sauté the sausage in olive oil, stirring constantly, about 12 minutes or until the sausage is cooked through and beginning to get crispy. Use a spoon to break up the meat.
- Add the semidried, smoked sausage before the end of frying, stir and combine.
- Add the onion, garlic, and thyme to the pan with the sausage, sauté on medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the crushed tomatoes to the sausage mix. Stir thoroughly, then cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Toss the sauce with the cauliflower in the cooking pot.
- Spread the cauliflower and sausage mix in the prepared baking dish and distribute evenly.
- Mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan and pepper, sprinkle them evenly over the cauliflower. Drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 25 minutes at 400°F or until breadcrumbs have browned and the sauce is bubbling.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY