- Oil or natural cooking spray for greasing pan
- 1 and 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 TBS yogurt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 2 lemons, zested
- 1 TBS poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Grease 10 muffin tins with oil or cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. I like to add a heaping teaspoon of cinnamon because I love the flavor.
- In a large bowl, mix the egg, sugar, applesauce, oil, yogurt, and vanilla until well incorporated. Gradually mix the flour to the wet ingredients. I like to add the flour in three batches.
- Gently fold in the zucchini, lemon zest, poppy seeds, and walnuts.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin pan until you fill up 10 of the tins.
- Bake for about 20-23 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out cleanly.
- Let the muffins cool for about 10 minutes.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY