Gluten-Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups light flour blend (see below)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 3 medium)
- Mash banana in a bowl and mix with all wet ingredients.
- Mix dry ingredients together and add them to the wet ingredients.
- Mix and spoon into muffin paper lined muffin tins. Do not fill above the edge of the paper. If you need more space, you can put a muffin paper into a small ramekin or 2.
- Bake at 375 F for 15-20 minutes.
- Let Muffins cool in tins for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack or flip them sideways in the muffin tin.
- Once cool, store in a ziplock bag in the freezer to keep fresh. Microwave from frozen (do not let it thaw at room temperature) for 20-30 seconds.
Light Flour Blend
2 1/2 cups Rice Flour (can use 1/2 brown rice flour – healthier but a bit gritty in texture)
1 cup Tapioca Starch (or flour – same thing)
1 cup Millet Flour (or Bajra Flour – part rice flour) (or sorghum flour) (or light buckwheat flour)
1/2 cup Lentil Flour (adds fiber and protein, but can be omitted or try substituting other bean or pea flour)
1/4 cup Potato Flour (not starch! – much different) (helps to absorb liquid. can be omitted, but use a little extra flour in the recipes to make up for it. I would suggest adding 1 Tbsp extra per cup used)
Recipe: Foodista / CC BY
Photo: jenny.nash712 / CC BY