- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground dry ginger
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk, soy milk or almond milk
- 1 granny smith apple, cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup or brown sugar (or more)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- toasted pecan or walnut pieces to garnish (optional)
- In a medium sized pot, mix together all of the ingredients with a whisk or wooden spoon.
- On medium, heat mixture and stir frequently. As the oatmeal cooks, the mixture will thicken. It takes about 8 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon, toasted nuts and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Recipe and Photo: Little Toast / CC BY