Vanilla Donut Muffins are the perfect way to begin your morning. These vanilla donuts are simple to make and have the texture of a classic cake donut.
- 6 ounces butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ tablespoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ tablespoons butter, melted
- ? cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper liners, or spray the muffin holes with non-stick spray.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla extract until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until incorporated after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg. With the mixer on low, add ? of the flour mixture and beat until well blended. Add ½ of the milk and beat until incorporated. Repeat, with the remaining flour and milk, beating well after each addition, ending with the last ? of the flour. Mix just until incorporated.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin liners, filling each around ? full. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly touched and are light golden.
- Combine topping ingredients in a smallish bowl with a tight-fitting lid. I find the easiest way to combine the sticky vanilla beans into the sugar is to put the lid on the bowl and shake, shake, shake!
- Brush the tops of the warm muffins with the melted butter and liberally sprinkle over the topping mixture.
- Enjoy warm from oven! They will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for a day or so.
Recipe and Photo: jamieanne / CC BY-ND