Skinny Mint Chocolate Grahams
- 14 T. (200 g.) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 c. (100 g.) sugar
- 2 T. honey
- 1 1/2 t. peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 c. (185 g.) all purpose flour
- 1 c. (130 g.) whole wheat flour
- 1/3 c. (30 g.) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. fine sea salt
- 1 c. (170 g.) bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 t. canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350 f. (180 c.).
- Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper. In the bowl of an electric mixer or in a large bowl using a handheld mixer, beat the butter, sugar, honey, and peppermint extract together until fluffy, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Sift both flours, the cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix on low speed until the mixture forms moist crumbs; do not overmix. Gather up the dough with your hands (it will come together when squeezed), and divide the dough into two equal-size pieces. Form each piece of dough into a rectangle measuring 4×6 inches, cover in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a work surface and lightly dust it with all-purpose flour. Place a portion of dough on the paper, dust it with flour and place a piece of plastic wrap over the dough. Roll the dough out until it is 1/8? thick, picking up the plastic once or twice to make sure there are no creases in the dough.
- Cut the dough into the desired shapes using cookie cutters, and use a lightly floured spatula or bench scraper to transfer the crackers to one of the prepared baking sheets; reserve and chill the scraps. Prick each cracker a few times with a fork or comb and bake until they are crisp and smell chocolaty, 10-12 minutes, rotating the sheet once from front to back while baking. Transfer the crackers to a cooling rack.
- While the first batch of crackers is baking, repeat the rolling and cutting process with another ball of dough; the chilled scraps can be re-rolled once.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl or a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips until smooth. Remove from the heat and whisk in the canola oil. Using an offset spatula, spread about 1/2 t. of the melted chocolate mixture over each cracker and place them on a baking sheet. Refrigerate the graham crackers until the glaze is set, about 30 minutes. Once the glaze has set, store the crackers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Recipe and Photo: CakeWalk / CC BY