- 3-4 Meyer lemons, sliced into thin 1/8–inch slices and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, unpacked
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cups milk
- Melt 3 tbsp. butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Brush some of the melted butter to coat the inside of a round 9-inch baking pan. Set pan aside. Add brown sugar to melted butter, stirring until combined to form a caramel type sauce. Spread in a even layer over the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Arrange about 25 lemon slices to cover the bottom of the dish. They should be slightly overlapping. Set aside.
- Combine flour and baking powder in a small bowl.
- In a mixing bowl, cream remaining butter, white sugar, lemon zest and vanilla until creamy. Beat eggs into the mixture using an electric mixer.
- Add half the flour, mixing until combined. Add milk while mixing. Add the remaining flour.
- Spread batter over the lemon slices in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for 30-35 minutes, removing when golden and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes, then invert cake onto a plate. Cool and serve using a sharp knife to slice through the lemon rinds.
Recipe and Photo: Little Toast / CC BY