- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
Homemade Strawberry Jam
- 1 cup ripe strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a 12-1/4 x 8-1/4 x 1-inch shallow baking pan with parchment paper coated with non stick spray or butter.
- In a medium bowl, whip egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Without washing beaters, beat egg yolks in a large bowl.
- Add sugar gradually. Continue to beat until very thick.
- Fold cornstarch and vanilla into egg yolks.
- Carefully fold egg whites into yolk mixture and pour batter into prepared pan. Smooth batter evenly and bake 12 – 15 minutes, or until cake springs back when gently pressed.
- Turn out onto a towel-covered cooling rack. Carefully remove the parchment paper and roll cake up in towel. Let cool.
- In a food processor, process cottage cheese and confectioner’s sugar until thick and smooth. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, boil strawberries and sugar down until thick; approximately 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Once the cake has cooled, unroll and spread lightly with cottage cheese mixture and then the jam.
- Roll cake to enclose filling, seam side down.
- Dust with confectioner’s sugar and refrigerate before serving.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY