Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Irish Cream Buttercream
- 1 Cup Stout Beer
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter
- ¾ Cup Quality Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1½ Teaspoons Baking Soda
- ¾ Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Large Eggs
- ? Cup Sour Cream
Irish Cream Buttercream:
- 4 to 5 Cups Confections Sugar
- 2 Cups Unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 to 5 Tablespoons Irish Cream Liqueur
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake cups with paper liners.
- Prepare the cupcakes: Put the butter with the stout beer in a sauce pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Whisk in cocoa powder until smooth. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In a mixer bowl, beat the eggs and the sour cream together. Add the beer/butter/cocoa mixture and beat to combine. Add the flour mixture and beat briefly just to combine. Using a rubber spatula, fold the batter until completely combined, making sure to incorporate little pockets of flour on the bottom so that the batter is of equal consistency everywhere.
- Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way if you want flatter cupcakes and 3/4 if you want domed. Bake for about 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely to room temperature.
- Prepare the frosting: In a large mixer bowl, whip the butter for several minutes until very light and fluffy. Slowly add about half of the powdered sugar a few spoonfuls at a time until incorporated. Slowly drizzle the Irish Cream and whip until combined. Add the rest of the powdered sugar until your desired consistency has been achieved.
- Assemble: Fill a pastry bag and pipe buttercream on top of cooled cupcakes. Garnish with sprinkles or other adornments. Enjoy!
Recipe and Photo: The Culinary Chronicles / CC BY-ND