Chicken Pesto Bites in Parmesan Cracker Cup
For Cracker Cup:
- Preheat oven to 375. In a medium bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, pepper and dried basil (or Italian seasoning). Use a pastry blender to cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in shredded parmesan cheese and garlic. Make a well in the center of flour mixture. Add buttermilk. Using a fork, stir until mixture can be shaped into a ball. If dough is dry and not shaping into a ball add slightly more buttermilk.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until dough is almost smooth. Divide dough in half. Roll each portion into a 12×9 inch rectangle. Cut rectangles into 3-inch squares. Prick squares well with a fork. Coat the outside bottoms of a 1 ¾” muffin cup bottoms, making sure edges of squares don’t overlap. Place inverted muffin pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake about 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Keep on pan and cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove cracker cups from muffin pan and continue to cool on wire rack.
- Combine spinach, basil, parmesan cheese and olive oil in a food processor and pulse until mixture is at a sauce.
- Add cubed chicken, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Add sauce to the chicken mixture and toss well. You may not need all the pesto sauce. I had about ½ cup leftover. It depends on how much pesto you prefer.
Recipe and Photo: Multiply Delicious / CC BY