Raspberry Thumbprint Wholewheat Scones With Macadamia Nuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 5 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup nonfat-sour cream (a little over ¾ cup is fine too)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons reduced-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons raspberry jam – sugar free
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Place oats in a food processor. Process until finely ground
- Add flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice to a food processor. Pulse 3 times
- Add butter; pulse 5 times until mixture resembles coarse meal. Be very careful – Don’t over beat.
- Add 1 tsp vanilla and sour cream; pulse 3 times or just until combined ( DO NOT over-mix). If you’re afraid you might over-mix, you can transfer the mixture into a big bowl and add sour cream and vanilla. Use spatula to mix. If you over-mix, the mixture will be too runny.
- Add cranberries, and nuts. Use spatula to mix well.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 3 times. Roll dough to a 1/2 inch thickness; cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter
- Place cut dough on a baking sheet. Use a watermelon scoop or small round spoon to press in a middle of each cut though to make a half hole for raspberry jam
- Mix together jam and the remaining vanilla extract.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of jam into a hole. Don’t over put it otherwise it will run all over a scone.
- Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet; transfer to a wire rack
- While they’re cooling, combine powdered sugar and milk. Stir with a whisk until smooth. Drizzle the glaze evenly over scones.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY