Broccoli Salad with Crisp Bacon Bits
- 2 heads of broccoli (about 700 g, cleaned)
- 4 oz bacon or pancetta, finely sliced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3.5 oz dried tomatoes in oil, drained and cut into small pieces
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbs Dijon mustard
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Remove the broccoli florets and cut them up into smaller ones. Finely slice the green stalks, discard the thick dry base.
- Blanch the broccoli florets in boiling water for 1-2 minutes, long enough to soften the broccoli but still leave it al dente OR in very little water in a microwave oven for 2-4 minutes on MAX (check after 2 minutes for crispness).
- Drain it in a colander and leave to dry or wrap in a paper towel to dry (this is important because it will help the dressing cling to the broccoli).
- Fry the bacon in olive oil on a medium heat until until crisp and golden.
- Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon onto the paper towel, wrap and crumble it by gentle pressure. Use the leftover fat in the pan for the salad dressing(about 2 tablespoons).
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients with and 2 tablespoons of the leftover fat in a mixing bowl.
- Add the sliced dry tomatoes.
- Place the broccoli in a salad bowl, add the dressing, sprinkle with crushed crispy bacon, season with salt and pepper. Toss thoroughly so the broccoli is evenly covered with the dressing.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY