Looking for a holiday cookie recipe that’s delicious but on the lighter side? Reach for these yummy Fat Free Gingerbread Cookies!
Fat Free Gingerbread Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. fresh ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. maple extract
- 1 Tbsp. chai concentrate (optional)
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup candied ginger
- ½ cup granulated sugar (for coating)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon (for coating)
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine brown sugar, molasses, apple sauce, vanilla extract, maple extract, chai concentrate. Beat with an electric mixer for about four minutes, until smooth. Add egg whites and beat for another minute until well combined.
- Slowly whisk in dry ingredients and beat until completely incorporated. Stir in candied ginger. Chill dough for at least one hour. (I chilled mine overnight)
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or grease with cooking spray.
- Combine granulated sugar with cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Scoop one tablespoon of cookie dough and place in the shallow bowl. Using your hands, coat the dough with the cinnamon sugar and shape into balls.
- Place cookie dough on prepared cookie sheet leaving about 3 inches between each cookie. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a rack to cool.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista / CC BY