Brie en Croute – Brie Stuffed Pastry
- 2 x 4½ oz herbed cheese (1 (rondele or boursin)
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- 2 lbs wheel brie cheese
- 1 lbs frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tsp water
- 1 egg for wash
- Mix the cream with the herbed cheese, spread on top of brie.
- Roll out both sheets of puff pastry to 14? squares.
- Place brie in center of first square, and cut circle 2? larger than the brie.
- Brush pastry with the egg wash, center the bottom of the brie on pastry.
- Make diagonal cuts in the edge of the pastry; brush with the egg wash, if it becomes dry, and fold against the side of the brie.
- Diagonal slits will help the pastry fit better now, cut a second round of pastry from the other 14? square, egg wash, and then place the on top of the brie in the center.
- Make more diagonal slits to fit.
- Use egg wash if necessary, and firmly press pastry dough to the sides of the brie.
- With a sharp knife, trim the excess.
- Take the scraps of pastry and make decorations, etc.
- You may cover this and refrigerate overnight, or at this point, freeze for up to 2 weeks before serving, bring to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
- Let it rest at room temperature for 2 hours before serving or the cheese will be too soft to cut.
- Serve this cut in small wedges.
Recipe and Photo: recipes.wikia.com / CC BY-SA