Recipe for Chinese Roast Pork – This recipe makes the yummy pork that goes in many of your Chinese takeout dishes.
- 1 Lb. pork, cut into a 2” strips
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 1/4 cup honey or maltose
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cube red pickled tofu (????)
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- red food coloring (optional)
- Honey and water (mixed in a 3:1 ratio)
- Use a fork and poke the pork all over, set aside .
- Make the marinade by mixing the rest of the ingredients together (except the honey water) until well blended.
- Marinade the pork overnight.
- The next day, lay the pork on a greased rack and spread foil on the bottom for easier cleaning
- Bake 30 minutes on each side (1 hour total) at gas mark 5 (190ºC, 375ºF), basting every 10 – 15 minutes with remaining marinade .
- The pork should have an internal temperature of 65°C (or 160°F) when done.
- Make the glaze by mixing honey and water in a 3:1 ratio, respectively.
- Glaze the pork on each side and bake for another 5 – 10 minutes
- Let the pork cool down and cut into thin slices.
Recipe and Photo: Open Source Food / CC BY-SA