Homemade Goldfish Crackers
- 1 cup (120g) plain flour (note 1)
- 8 oz (220g) sharp/ extra sharp cheddar cheese – shredded (note 2 & 3)
- 3 tablespoons (60g) cold butter (cut into cubes)
- ¼ -½ teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Using a pastry blender, cut butter into the flour until it forms coarse crumbs.
- Add salt to mix together.
- Add shredded cheese and cut into the mixture.
- Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Use hand to form dough and divide into 2 portions. Wrap them in plastic and chill for 20 minutes (or longer).
- Preheat oven to 340°F(170°C). Line baking trays with parchment papers.
- Take out one portion of the dough from the fridge. Work with one portion at a time. Place dough in between two sheets of wax paper or cling wrap. Roll dough out to 3mm (1/8 in) thickness. Cut out shapes with your choice of cookies cutters (note 4) and transfer to baking tray.
- Use chopstick or toothpick to make the eye balls, and the prong of a fork (I used crab forks) to carve a curvy lip. (This step is optional)
- Gather all the trimmings and re-roll. Repeat until all the dough is used up.
- Bake for approximately 15-17 minutes, until the crackers are crispy and golden around edges. Timing will vary according to size and shape of your crackers. Cool for 10 minutes on baking tray before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
You can substitute it with 50-100% whole wheat flour.
Shred the cheese very fine so that you can easily cut it into the mixture.
Get orange cheese if you can.
Be sure to visit this page on Food-4Tots to see how to make your own goldfish cookie cutters!
Image and recipe reprinted with permission from www.food-4tots.com and www.healthyaperture.com