Banana Bread French Toast Cupcakes
- ½ cup (113 g) mashed overripe banana
- 1 ¼ cups (156 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (150 g) sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) canola oil
- 2?3 cup (160 ml) rice or soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup (60 g) chopped, toasted walnuts
- 2 cups (250 g) confectioners’ sugar
- 6 tablespoons (85 g) nonhydrogenated vegetable shortening
- 6 tablespoons (85 g) vegan margarine
- tablespoons (40 g) pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon maple flavoring
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a twelve-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Throw your mashed banana in a blender or just smash it with a fork.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and sugar into a large bowl and mix well.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the oil, rice milk, vanilla, almond extract and mashed banana.
- Stir or fold the wet ingredients into the dry. Small lumps are fine. Finally, add the walnuts, folding gently.
- Fill the liners two-thirds full. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and let cool completely before frosting.
- To make the vegan maple buttercream frosting, beat all the ingredients together in a bowl until they’re light and fluffy.
Image and recipe reprinted with permission from hezzi-dsbooksandcooks.com and healthyaperture.com