Build a Better Sandwich
(Family Features) Returning to a school or work routine is bittersweet. Schedules and agendas don’t have to be boring, though, when your lunch routine is anything but. Run-of-the-mill PB&J and turkey and cheese standbys are making way for a new hero: gourmet sandwich creations that inspire envy.
Craveable ingredients, like savory green olives, peppery salami and smoky roasted tomatoes can be lunch staples with these delicious recipes. Skip those weekday blues and mix up your lunch with a layer of excitement.
Makes Great Meal Any Way You Stack It
Weekday lunch breakers rejoice – the sandwich is making a comeback. Kick-start your lunch routine with these easy tips and craveable recipes that are sure to inspire lunch envy:
Prep the Week: Create a shopping list based on your week’s menu, and prep your ingredients in advance so creating a delicious sandwich is easy. Have a little fun and experiment. Bet you didn’t know that if you put two pieces of bread in the same slot of the toaster, the outside of the bread gets crispy and the inside stays soft and pillowy.
Spread the Love: Spice things up with a Smoked Bacon Ranch or Spicy Chipotle Pepper Hidden Valley Sandwich Spread & Dip – it’s a simple addition and guaranteed to be tasty. For more recipes, visit www.hiddenvalley.com/sandwiches.
Nibble Ready: Stock your fridge with quick, grab-and-go snacks and sides. Fresh vegetables are a tasty treat when dipped in Country Herb Ranch or Oven Roasted Garlic Parmesan Hidden Valley Sandwich Spread & Dip. Made with white beans and cream cheese, each tablespoon has one-third the calories of mayonnaise. Cherry tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower or bell pepper strips also make great dippers.
Leftover Magic: Repurpose boring leftovers into delicious sandwiches to take on-the-go for school and office lunches. Simply add spread and bread. Yesterday’s roast chicken is today’s tasty Chicken Bacon Club.
Louisiana-style Muffaletta Sandwiches
- 1 16-ounce loaf sweet Italian or French bread, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup Hidden Valley Oven-Roasted Garlic Parmesan Sandwich Spread & Dip
- 3/4 pound assorted Italian deli meats, such as ham, salami and mortadella
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced green olives
- Lettuce, if desired
- Open loaf of bread and spread sandwich spread on both sides of cut surfaces. Top one side with layers of meat, cheese, olives and lettuce and then close with other side. Slice into 2-inch wide segments for serving.
Veggie Lovers Sandwich with Roasted Garlic
- 1 sourdough sandwich roll, toasted
- 2 tablespoons Hidden Valley Oven Roasted Garlic Parmesan Sandwich Spread & Dip
- 8 slices of mixed grilled vegetables, such as eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, red bell pepper, red onions and mushrooms
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish, optional
- Spread both sides of sandwich roll with garlic sandwich spread. Top with layers of grilled vegetables and a sprinkle of cheese, if desired.
Fusion Reuben Sandwich
- 2 slices rye bread
- 2 tablespoons Hidden Valley Spicy Chipotle Pepper Sandwich Spread & Dip
- 2 slices (2 ounces) corned beef or pastrami
- 1/4 cup drained sauerkraut
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with sandwich spread. Top with meat, sauerkraut and cheese. Close sandwich and grill until cheese is melted.
Chicken Bacon Club Sandwiches
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup Hidden Valley Smoked Bacon Ranch Sandwich Spread & Dip
- 10 slices buttermilk sandwich bread, toasted
- 5 leaves lettuce
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- Stir chicken and sandwich spread together. Spread 1/2 cup chicken salad on 5 slices of toast. Top with lettuce, tomato, avocado and remaining toast to create sandwiches.
- 1/2 cup Hidden Valley® Smoked Bacon Ranch Sandwich Spread & Dip, divided
- 2 cups chopped lettuce, 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup seeded and chopped tomato
- 1 cup chopped, sliced turkey (about 6 ounces)
- 6 hot dog buns
- Crumbled crisp-cooked bacon, optional
- In medium mixing bowl, gently stir together sandwich spread, chopped lettuce, tomato and turkey. Fill hot dog buns with mixture. If desired, garnish with bacon.