Recipe for Toasted Coconut Gelato – Plain old coconut ice cream sounds good, but toasted coconut ice cream jumps to a whole new level of deliciousness.
- 2 Cups plus 3 Tablespoons Whole Milk
- 1¾ Cups Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup loosely packed Toasted Unsweetened Coconut Flakes, plus additional for garnish
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Coconut Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- In a heavy sauce pot, add 2 cups of milk, coconut milk, sugar, and salt. Bring to a low boil on medium low heat. Be careful not to scorch. With the remaining milk, add corn starch to make a slurry. When milk and coconut milk come to a boil, add the slurry and extracts. Cook on low and whisk often so that clumps do not form. The mixture is cooked when you can run a line on the back of a spoon without the mixture coming back together. Cool the mixture to room temperature and then chill in the refrigerator for a minimum of 12 hours.
- Add the mixture to your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s directions. When half the time has elapsed, slowly add the toasted coconut allowing it to be thoroughly incorporated in the mixture.
- Transfer to a storage container and freeze until desired firmness. Before serving, allow the gelato to sit on your counter for a few minutes for a better texture and because its easier to scoop. Serve with a sprinkle of toasted coconut flakes.
Recipe and Photo: The Culinary Chronicles / CC BY-ND