Recipe: Asian Glass Noodle Chicken Soup
- 1.5 Quarts Chicken Stock
- 2 Tablespoons Nước Mắm (fish sauce)
- 1 Inch Fresh Ginger, peeled
- 1 Teaspoon Black Peppercorns
- 1 Boneless Chicken Breast
- 4 Ounces Dried Miến (glass noodles)
- Hot Water
- Garnish: Chopped Scallions, Chopped Cilantro, Thai Basil, Slices of Red Chilies, Lime Wedges
- Fill a large bowl with hot water and add Miến. Soak Miến for at least 15 minutes until they have softened.
- In a medium size pot, add chicken stock, Nước Mắm, peppercorns and ginger. Bring to a simmer and add chicken breast. Continue poaching chicken breast until it is fully cooked, about 8 minutes–depending on size. Remove the chicken breast. Once it’s cooled slightly, slice or shred the meat.
- Turning back to the the broth, skim off any impurities that may have formed. Taste and adjust the seasonings—adding more pepper or a dash of Nước Mắm as needed. Keep the broth at a low simmer to ensure it stays hot.
- Drain the Miến and add to bowls. Sprinkle with scallions, cilantro, and arrange chicken slices on top. Ladle hot broth over and noodles. Garnish with additional scallions, chilies, basil, and lime.
Photo Courtesy of Jeannie Maristela is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.