Recipe: Sweet Cherry Pie Ice Cream
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 16-ounce jar chopped maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 1/2 cups cinnamon graham crackers, broken into 1-inch pieces
- Heat cream and milk to just below the boil. Whisk egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar and a pinch of salt until just blended.
- Strain hot cream onto egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Return to saucepan and cook slowly, stirring constantly, until it coats the spoon.
- Strain, add almond extract and cherries. Cool completely; freeze in ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s directions. Fold in graham crackers. Freeze until firm.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of National Sweet Cherry Foundation