Serve a Simple Skillet Supper
Getting dinner on the table fast during a busy week need not cause a panic – or a call for carryout. With this simple recipe and five key ingredients, supper is served in just 20 minutes.
Begin with a pantry staple that can be the starting point for lots of great meals – a can of READ German Potato Salad. This ready-to-serve salad makes a savory side dish to accompany all kinds of entrees, but it’s so much more versatile. Think of it as a base for a hearty soup, a casserole or a skillet meal like Quick Sausage and German Potato Salad Skillet.
Thinly sliced potatoes, deliciously seasoned with a vinegary-bacon dressing, make a perfect pairing with smoked sausage and a quick sauté of onion wedges and colorful bell peppers. Think of the prep time and number of ingredients saved by beginning with the potato salad. And by choosing pre-cooked sausages, which can be browned and heated in about five minutes, cooking time is greatly reduced.
Add a mixed greens salad, perhaps topped with apple or pear slices, and dinner is done. How quick, easy and appetizing is that?
For more great-tasting, simple recipes made with READ salads, visit www.READsalads.com.
Quick Sausage and German Potato Salad Skillet
- 2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 medium red or yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch thick wedges
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 pound pre-cooked smoked chicken or turkey sausage links
- 1 can (15 ounces) READ German Potato Salad
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Chopped parsley, optional
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook and stir 1 minute. Add sausages; continue cooking 5 minutes until browned and heated through, turning occasionally. Remove sausages from skillet.
- Add potato salad and black pepper to skillet. Stir to combine with onion mixture. Return sausages to skillet. Cook 2 to 3 minutes to heat through. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Other smoked sausage such as Polish or kielbasa can be substituted.