Recipe: Charlie Gitto’s Toasted Ravioli
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons salad oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Meat filling:
- 1/2 pound beef, cubed
- 1/2 pound veal, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooked, chopped spinach
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- Grated Parmesan, for garnish
- Tomato sauce, for serving
- For the dough: In a large mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients, and mix until the ingredients come together to form a dough. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 to 15 minutes. Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the meat filling: combine the beef, veal, onion, celery, carrots, salt, and pepper in a roasting pan and roast until cooked through, about 1 hour. Let cool.
- Add the spinach, then grind ingredients in a meat grinder with a fine grind. Add the eggs and cheese, and mix well, to create a paste-like texture.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface using a rolling pin. Make a large, very thin layer of dough. Spread out a thin layer of filling on half of one side of the dough, using a spatula. Fold the dough end over the filling side of the dough. Mark the filled dough with a ravioli marker (ravioli rolling pin). Cut ravioli out using a ravioli cutter. Freeze until hard.
- To bread the ravioli: Make an egg wash by mixing together the eggs and the milk. Add the ravioli to the wash, then dip in the seasoned bread crumbs. Refreeze until ready to fry.
- Preheat a deep fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Fry the ravioli until golden brown. Serve hot on a plate sprinkled with freshly grated Parmesan on top and tomato sauce on the side.
Recipe From FoodNetwork