Banana Pancakes with Coconut Caramel Sauce
Banana Pancakes with Coconut Caramel
High cal Calories 2199kcal
Low fat Total Fat 47g
High sat-fat Saturated Fat 37g
High chol Cholesterol 186mg
High sodium Sodium 1018mg
High carbs Total Carbohydrate 456g
Serving size 1593g Calories from fat 424kcal Fiber 35g Protein 29g Sugar 276g
2 eggs ( separated)
1 tablespoon of castor ( granulated) sugar
125gm (3oz) self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 5 medium bananas
2 tablespoons of milk or coconut milk
- Caramel Sauce
250gm (8 oz) dark coconut sugar (you can also use palm sugar or brown sugar)
200ml ( ¾ cup) coconut cream (or thick unsweetened coconut cream, or thickened heavy dairy cream)
80ml (1/4 cup) water
1-2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Roughly chop the sugar and put it into a pot with the water simmering gently and breaking up the sugar with a fork. There maybe some lumps left but add the coconut cream ( or cream) and simmer for 2-3 minutes until the sauce bubbles and thickens. it will thicken naturally as it boils. Add ½ the lemon juice and taste. Add the rest if you to taste. set aside
- Mash the bananas in a bowl ( or puree in a processor). Mix in the sugar, egg yolks, and coconut milk. Combine well then stir in the (well mixed) flour and baking powder, till just combined.
- Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl till soft peak and fold gently through the pancake mixture.
- Heat a fry pan and cook pancakes in batches, any size you like.
- Chill a container of coconut cream. It thickens up when chilled and can be used like whipped cream.